Pest Control Bird Proofing
Birds frequently nest in drain gutters, resulting in blockages that can cause flooding and water damage. Bird droppings are also highly acidic and corrode metal and concrete, causing numerous structural problems. Furthermore, where bird nests are located close to electrical cables or installations, their nesting materials can create a serious fire hazard. Birds nesting in chimneys or ventilation systems can also cause air-flow blockages and give rise to potentially serious situations. Last but not least, birds host numerous types of parasites and carry many kinds of infectious diseases.
Using the very latest – and totally humane – bird-control products and methods, our fully qualified technicians will carry out the following procedures to ensure a speedy and effective resolution to your bird-related problems:
- SURVEY: We conduct a full survey of the affected area to identify the cause and nature of the problem.
- DESIGN AND PLANNING: Following on from the survey, we design and plan a tailor-made bird-prevention strategy to suit your premises.
- MANUFACTURING: To ensure that prevention is totally effective, we manufacture our screening to fit your exact requirements.
- INSTALLATION: Our qualified technicians will install preventative screening to ensure complete effectiveness and quality.
If you wish to discourage birds from nesting or gathering on your building in a totally humane manner, bird netting is the answer. Our netting can be used outdoors wherever birds are fond of perching or roosting. CPC supplies bird netting in any shape, size or colour to complement the decor of your building. We cut the netting to size and fit it over the affected area, including canopies, shelters, bridges and signage.
Standard netting is available in the following sizes:
- 50mm for pigeons
- 19mm for smaller birds
In addition to netting, we also provide additional bird-control solutions, including:
- Post and wire systems
- Prospike systems
Pigeons are the top urban pest bird, causing damage wherever they roost. Since urban pigeons are descendants of domesticated European homing pigeons, they have a varied diet and are comfortable making their nests in man-made structures. Generally blue-grey in colour with irridescent feathers around the neck and head, their short legs and hind toes permit easy perching on pipes and ledges. Pigeons generally nest in small, flat areas above the ground, such as building ledges, air-conditioning units and window sills.
Damage caused by pigeons
Pigeon activity around buildings often leads to structural damage as these resourceful pests can lift roof coverings to make an entry, especially if the covering is already slightly displaced. This can allow significant water penetration into the building and subsequent decay. More seriously, pigeon feathers, faeces and other detritus can block rainwater drainage systems, creating additional water-penetration risks and severe decay problems. Nesting activity is especially dangerous in this respect, as pigeons frequently nest in parapet gutters and can cause complete blockages in a short space of time.
- Pigeon droppings aren’t just unsightly but highly acidic too, causing damage to buildings and machinery. Nesting material, droppings and feathers also block gutters and air vents.
- Pigeons carry mites which can cause skin disorders, while dirt from their feathers can exacerbate respiratory problems.
- Pigeons carry a range of diseases, many of which are transmissable to humans, particularly if droppings contaminate foodstuffs. Around food premises, therefore, the presence of pigeons simply cannot be tolerated.
To learn more about combatting the scourge of urban pigeons, contact us today.
Thanks to Jeff in Central Pest Control for sorting a problem out for my elderly Aunt. He was extremely efficient and sympathetic to her problem and dealt with the issue quickly. Great service from the team. Thanks